20090627

Tekkon Kinkreet

Have you ever stumbled upon something so visually commanding that you just stood and gawk by the sheer awesomeness of it all? Such is the power of Tekkon Kinkreet, a japanese animation based on a comic that featured two orphan kids, Black and White.

The animation won several awards after the screening in RESFest on 2006. I've watched it twice. The story doesn't do much for me. The subtitles in english are not even accurate. Of course, I purchased the *ahem* version. It doesn't help that my less-than-stellar command of jap are getting rustier. Basically its about 2 kids trying to protect their town, set in fictional japan from the invasion of yakuzas. I have yet to read the manga.

But what sets this anime from others is the effort they made to make the town as real as possible. Every single detail is animated to perfection. The are panning shots of cityscapes, low angle shots of the town and action scenes that spans from one block to another. And I'm talking detailed sceneries. I'm addicted to images of cityscapes and concrete jungle recently. Their level of commitment to detail is as such you can even see rust on pots and pans hanging from a dilapidated wooden shophouse full of torn ads and poster. Fuck, how did that ever make sense? Just watch the gawddam anime.

No comments:

 

blogger templates